The Merchant Shipping Act in Ireland
The main legislation governing ship registration in Ireland is the Merchant Shipping Act which was renewed in 2014. The Merchant Shipping Act contains all the provisions for ship registration by Irish companies and foreign companies operating in the country. The main changes brought to the Shipping Registration Act refer to the conclusion of contracts for delivering goods by sea between an Irish company and its clients. The new legislation meets all international standards. The Irish Shipping Law was renewed as a plan of the Government to transform the country into the most appealing international centers for maritime activities. Ireland is EU’s third largest shipping center. For information about investment opportunities in the maritime industry you can ask our experts in company formation in Ireland.
Opening an Irish shipping company
The only requirements to follow for opening a shipping company in Ireland are set out in the new Irish Companies Law. Foreign citizens can register a company in Ireland in order to register a vessel. The main requirements for registering a shipping company in Ireland are:
- – preparing the Memorandum and Articles of Association which must clearly state the company’s object of activity as shipping,
- – fill out a company registration form.
These documents will be submitted with the Irish Trade Register. Also, in order to operate the company will be required to register a vessel in Ireland.
Boat registration in Ireland
Foreign citizens can register a boat in Ireland only if the company they run has a registered address in the country. All vessels must be registered with the Register of Ships in Ireland. The documents to be supplied when registering a boat in Ireland are:
- – documents attesting the ownership of the vessel,
- – proof of identity of the owner, certificate of incorporation in case of Irish companies,
- – proof of eligibility of the applicant and qualifications of the person manning the ship,
- – details about the vessel’s manager,
- – proof of name of the boat.
Additional information and documentation will be required also depending on the type of vessel. For complete information about boat registration you can contact our specialists in company formation in Ireland.